For this year’s competition theme, Mobility in an Unstable World, we are looking for photos and illustrations exploring migration in a world where societies and governments are facing dramatic shifts and challenges. Images can be anything from a symbolic illustration of the changing attitudes towards migration, to a personal depiction of moving to a new place. Winning entries will be of high quality, good composition and contain strong imagery.
Prizes: £250 and £100 will be awarded for the winning entries. Ten runners-up will be awarded £50 each. The winning entries will be used in COMPAS academic material and on our website. Winning entries will also appear in the COMPAS Calendar (entrants will be sent a copy).
How to submit
To submit your entry/entries you must email them as an attached jpeg file to email@example.com. Please note: entries can only be accepted via the above email address. Please ensure that each jpeg file is labelled with following the convention: “YourLastName_ImageTitle_2017”
The body of your email must contain the following information:
- Your full name
- Your address
- Number of photos submitted
- Where you heard about the competition
- An acknowledgement that you have read and accepted the terms & conditions
- That, where required, you have consent from anyone depicted in the images
Please note that we will not be able to accept your entries if they are not correctly labelled, formatted, or full submission information provided.
Terms & Conditions
- The competition is open to anyone, aged 16 and over, including employees of COMPAS and the University of Oxford. Organising and judging staff, and their relations, cannot enter.
- Once you have read and accepted the terms and conditions please see details below on how to submit entries.
- Only three entries allowed per person. The theme is Mobility in an Unstable World.
- The closing date/time for entries is 5pm GMT, Friday 27 October 2017.
- All entries must be the entrant’s own original work and must not have been previously published elsewhere. Entrants warrant and undertake that photos submitted will not infringe intellectual property, privacy or any other rights of any third party.
- Entrants must ensure that any person or persons whose image is used in an entry has given valid consent for the use of their image or has waived any rights they may have in the image submitted. Where such person is under 16, the consent of that person’s parent or guardian must be obtained. Failure to adequately demonstrate such consent may result in the entrant’s disqualification and forfeiture of any prize.
- There are twelve prizes: 1st Prize £250, 2nd Prize £100 and 10 runner-up prizes of £50 each. Prize monies are paid by bank transfer and usually in GBP. If this is not possible then all exchange fees will be deducted from the final amount.
- The judging panel reserve the right to withdraw prize monies if all entries are not of sufficiently high quality. The winning entries will be that, which in the opinion of the judges, most aptly captures the content and spirit of the theme. The judges’ decision will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- The winners will be contacted and their names published on the COMPAS website within 30 days of the relevant closing date.
- In consideration of COMPAS agreeing to consider the entry, each entrant grants to COMPAS an irrevocable, non-exclusive, royalty-free, worldwide license for the full period of copyright to publish or otherwise use the entry in so far as is relevant to this specific competition in any way and at any time and to sub-license such rights to any third-party. COMPAS will use reasonable efforts to assert the entrant’s moral rights in the photograph. However COMPAS may cut, edit, crop or arrange the entry as it sees fit and shall be entitled to sub-license such right to third-parties.
- For the avoidance of doubt, all rights in the photographs other than those granted to COMPAS under paragraph 10 above are retained by the entrant.
- No responsibility is taken for entries lost, delayed, misdirected or incomplete due to server functions or failures, virus, bugs, technical problems or traffic congestion on the internet or any other causes outside COMPAS’s control. Proof of entry is not proof of receipt.
- The prize is non-exchangeable, non-transferable, and is not redeemable for other any other prize. COMPAS retains the right to substitute the prize with another prize of similar value in the event that original prize offered is not available due to circumstances beyond its reasonable control.
- COMPAS shall not be responsible for the return of entries.
- No purchase necessary.
- COMPAS reserves the right to use the names of winners, their photographs and any media submitted by them in relation to the promotion in any publicity.
- COMPAS cannot accept any responsibility for any damage, loss, injury or disappointment suffered by any entrant as a result of entering the competition or accepting the prize or any injury or damage to the entrant’s or any other person’s computer or mobile telephone relating to or resulting from participation in or downloading any materials in connection with the competition. Nothing shall exclude COMPAS’s liability for death or personal injury as a result of its negligence.
- The competition will be governed by English law. The organiser: Centre on Migration Policy and Society, 58 Banbury Road, Oxford OX2 6QS.